Dutch immigrant architect Jan R. Kleyn designed this Italianate style house for Holland's first mayor and tannery owner, Isaac Cappon, and his large family. Owned by the Cappon's from 1873 until 1980, the home's stately interior is furnished with one of the country's largest collections of early Grand Rapids furniture in its original setting. The Cappon House was comprehensively restored between 2000 - 2004, including the reproduction of original wallpapers, floor coverings and silk upholstery material. A Visitor Center delete comma in the Cappon barn is the starting point for touring both the Cappon House and the nearby Settlers House.
The old Holland City Hall/Engine House No. 2 is a two-story buff brick building with dark red painted trim. It was built in 1883-1884, with a low, one-story flat-roof addition added in 1941. The narrow (delete and) deep structure contained the engine house downstairs and the common council meeting room upstairs. The structure's principal decorative feature is its seemingly Dutch Revival pointed gable-roof, housing a hose-drying tower that allowed 50-foot fire hoses to be hung straight down.
Cobblestone sidewalks, Victorian streetlights, park benches and beautiful bronze statues invite shoppers to wander the streets of our award-winning downtown. Designated as an historic district by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Downtown Holland has won numerous awards, including the Great American Main Street Award. With over 100 shops, galleries and eateries, downtown delights people of all ages.
"Big Red" lighthouse, as it is affectionately known, has welcomed boaters to Holland for almost 140 years. The first lighthouse was erected in 1872; however the structure as we now know it became a reality in 1936. Originally painted pale yellow, the color was changed to bright red in 1956 to satisfy a Coast Guard mandate that all structures on the right side of harbor entrances must be red. In 1971 the Coast Guard declared Big Red to be surplus, so local townsfolk formed the Holland Harbor Lighthouse Historical Commission, taking ownership of it in 1974 and installing a new light that shines for 20 miles. View Big Red from the Holland State Park; access not available from the South Pier.
The residential neighborhoods immediately south of downtown, from 10th Street to 14 Streets, contain hundreds of period homes and several outstanding churches built between 1890 and 1930. 12th Street, between College Avenue and Washington Avenue, is filled with many outstanding restored homes, as well as Third Reformed Church.
Hope College is recognized as one of the nations' outstanding liberal arts colleges. Hope grew up with Holland, founded soon after the city's beginnings. Hope has the distinction of being the only private, one-year liberal arts college with national accreditation in art, dance music and theatre. Just two blocks from downtown, Hope's campus of 3,200 students provides beautiful landscapes and architecture and adds a vibrancy to the community.
The Woman's Literary Club, built in 1914, sits across the street from Centennial Park, Holland's former Market Square.Â Literary clubs such as this were common at the beginning of the 20th century, providing a place for women to socialize and discuss the latest books. In recent years, the building has gone into private ownership and is still beautifully maintained.
This beautiful building was completed in 1915 to serve as Holland's first post office. It has been given new life as the Holland Museum, ensuring that its stately pillars and distinctive Classical Revival architecture will be enjoyed by future generations. Of special note are the 2nd floor Dutch galleries, a spectacular collection of 17th , 18th and 19th century Dutch art and furniture.
The popular Downtown Street Performance Series takes place every Thursday night in the summer. Regional, national, and international artists from all backgrounds perform free for the public, filling the streets of Holland's historic downtown with musicians, magicians, mimes, break dancers, aerial acrobats, jugglers, and much, much more.
A palette of color awaits you as you wind along the entrance to Holland's treasured island. Tour up into DeZwaan, the only authentic Dutch windmill operating in the United States. From the top, you can survey 36 acres of manicured gardens, dikes, and canals. Costumed guides, an Amsterdam street organ, a hand-painted Dutch carousel, and gift shops will complete your visit.
Step back in time to the Netherlands of the 1800's, recreated with authentic Dutch architecture and performers in traditional Dutch costumes and wooden shoes. Demonstrations include Dutch cheese-making, delft painting, wooden shoe carving and a costume presentation. An authentic Amsterdam street organ plays while dancers perform age-old Dutch folk dances.
Founded by the Reverend Albertus VanRaalte, Pillar Church was dedicated in 1856. This Greek Revival building is listed on the National Historic Register and is one of the few buildings that survived the devastating fire of 1871, which destroyed much of Holland. There is a small museum honoring Reverend Van Raalte in the church basement, and a traditional Dutch church service takes place during Holland's annual Tulip Time Festival each May.